Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I love the morning glory muffin and this is my attempt and making it a bit healthier and lower in fat.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup ground flax seeds
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 3⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 7 ounces crushed pineapple, reserve juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups carrots, grated
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- In a large bowl, combine the Dry ingredients.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites and egg, add other wet ingredients. Mix together - if too dry add pineapple juice - if too wet add more all purpose flour (a bit at a time) time.
- Use muffin liners; fill three-fourths full. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire.
These were nice served warm with a little butter, but without the butter they seemed to be missing something. I couldn't get the flax seed, so I used wheatgerm instead, but apart from that I made as written. My nephew quite liked them, and we will eat & enjoy them, but I don't think I will make them again. [Made for Fall 08 PAC]
I made these yesterday to take into work for a treat. I did make 2 changes. I omitted the flax seed, and I omitted the carrots. They were not my favorite muffin, but that is probably because they were too "healthy" for me. Someone who loves healthy things will probably adore them. Thanks for sharing!