1/2 Photos of Evelyn's Sweet and Sour Meatballs
1 hr 40 mins
morleah's mom's Note:
This is my grandmother's sweet and sour meatball recipe. For those who like to use up everything, it's a great way to make use of sweet pickle juice - as the pickles are used up, I just save the juice in a jar at the back of the fridge. Easy, quick prep, can be cooked on stove top, in oven or crockpot and can cook meatballs in the sauce or pre-cook in microwave, fry pan or oven. This recipe freezes well and is easily doubled. Also kid-friendly; my 4 year old who is going through the stage of "KD and hotdogs or nothing" eats this without prompting!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup sweet pickle juice (eg. bread and butter, sweet mixed, etc.)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon soya sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (optional)
meatball (also good for meatloaf)
- 2Mix all ingredients (may leave out cornstarch, but sauce may be thin).
- 3Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer while preparing meat.
- 4Drop in meat and simmer at least 30 minutes more.
- 5If I'm not in a hurry, this sits and cooks on all day on the stove top.
- 7Combine all ingredients and blend thoroughly - hands work best!
- 8Roll into small balls and drop into sauce, or cook first then add to sauce.
- 9Serve over rice.
- 10NOTE: Sauce is also great for ribs.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Evelyn's Sweet and Sour Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (372 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 762.4
- Calories from Fat 337
- Total Fat 37.4 g
- Saturated Fat 14.7 g
- Cholesterol 230.4 mg
- Sodium 2229.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 54.2 g
- Protein 47.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sweet pickle juice