Recipe by MMinMI
This is an authentic German pretzel recipe for my neighbor who is from Germany. Weigh (on a scale) the flour, butter, and salt. Use a cold lye bath -- 50 g food grade lye and 1250 ml water (can be saved and reused) or boiling baking soda bath (2 tablespoons Baking Soda and 1 litre water, bring to boil) before baking. Prep time includes rise time. AWSOME!!!!
- 500 g flour
- 1⁄2 ounce quick-rising yeast (2 packages)
- 10 g salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 50 g unsalted butter, soft
- 200 ml warm water
- 50 ml milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix dry ingredients together. Add liquid ingredients and mix on medium speed in Kitchen Aid Mixer until a ball forms.
- Let dough rise until double in size -- about one hour.
- Form into pretzel shapes, sticks or rolls.
- To shape pretzels, roll dough (about 2 ounces) into an 18 inch rope (leave the middle a little fatter than the ends), form into a circle with about a 2 inch tail on each end, twist the cross over twice, fold in half, and press the end of the tails into the circle.
- Refrigerate pretzels for about 10 minutes, let rolls or sticks rise for 10-15 minutes.
- Dip in Lye bath for 10 seconds or boiling baking soda mixture for 30 seconds. Place on parchment lined cookie sheets. Slit with a sharp knife or razor blade. Sprinkle with pretzel salt.
- Bake at 400 for 10-15 minutes.