Recipe by evelyn/athens
I have baked (and eaten) more cheesecakes in my life than I care to mention. Finally, it dawned on me that what I was doing was making a type of custard in a crust. Revelation - I could do custard without a recipe and from then on I have never used a recipe to make cheesecake. This is one of my favourites. There's no crust - it really doesn't need it.
Top Review by Mirj
What I really liked about this cheesecake is that it's more like cheesecake-mousse. There is no crust, so all you get is that delicious cheesecake flavor! I added a little lemon zest from the lemon that I squeezed for the juice. I actually baked this in a silicon pan, so turning it out onto the cake plate was very easy. I added a little more lemon zest and a single strawberry to every slice I served. This is something that will be made so many times I'm not even going to need a recipe after a short while! Thanks, Evelyn, this is heavenly!
- 5 (8 ounce) packagesphilladelphia cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 4 1⁄2 ounces unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 7 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Position rack 1/3 down from TOP of oven and preheat to 350 degrees F (175C).
- Butter a 13x9x2" cake pan or large springform pan (put foil around outside of springform pan as the cheesecake batter is quite runny) and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat cheese and butter until soft and smooth.
- Beat in vanilla, sugar and cornstarch and continue beating until smooth.
- Beat in eggs one at a time and then, on low speed, gradually add the cream.
- The mixture will be very thin.
- Add lemon juice and beat only to mix.
- Pour into pan, place in larger pan that is not deeper than cake pan and pour in hot water almost 1" deep.
- Bake for 30 minutes, rotate pan from front to back; raise oven temperature to 400 degrees F (190C) and bake 10-15 minutes more, until top is pale golden-brown.
- Remove from hot water and let cool completely (do NOT!!! refrigerate until it has been removed from baking pan! otherwise you'll never be able to get presentable pieces out.).
- Turn out onto cake plate and serve with your topping of choice (strawberries and whipped cream are always good).