Recipe by blucoat
This simple recipe is the one Evan's mother and now Evan have been making for years. Evan Kleiman is the chef owner of LA's Angeli Caffe, and best-selling author of numerous cookbooks, including "Cucina Fresca" and "Pasta Fresca".
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered (Russet work well)
- 1 small onion, peeled
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- grapeseed oil or peanut oil or corn oil, for frying
Directions See How It's Made
- Latkes can be made using a potato grater or in the food processor. If using a potato grater first grate the potatoes and the onion into a bowl. Add the beaten egg and the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- To make in a food processor with steel blade add potatoes and onion to the bowl with egg. Process until coarsely chopped. Add remaining ingredients and process until the texture is as you wish. (I like it grated coarsely.).
- Put enough oil in a non-stick pan to a depth of 1/4 inch. Heat oil until hot but not smoking. Stir the potato batter and make pancakes about four inches in diameter turning once when the first side is deep golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately with applesauce, sour cream and powdered sugar.