Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This cake is locally famous and so good! I always frost it with my Eva Rae's cream cheese frosting Eva Rae's Cream Cheese Frosting.
- 295.73 ml canola oil
- 473.18 ml sugar
- 473.18 ml flour
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 9.85 ml cinnamon
- 4 large eggs
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 4.92 ml burnt sugar
- 709.77 ml carrots, grated
- 236.59 ml pecans, chopped (optional)
- **To make burnt sugar, cook sugar in a small skillet over medium heat until it carmelizes; pour immediately into batter.
- Combine oil and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Sift dry ingredients together in another bowl and add half to oil and sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time, alternating with the remaining dry ingredients.
- Stir in carrots, flavorings and nuts.
- Pour into a greased 9 x 13 pan.
- Bake at 325°F for approximately 1 hour.
- Cool and frost.
Amazing cake!!! I added some molasses to the batter to give it more flavor. I used a cream cheese mousse for the middle (recipe found on another site but basically whipping cream, powered sugar, vanilla and cream cheese) and a cream cheese frosting. I love that this doesn't have pineapple in it as I think pineapple ruins carrot cake. People who don't normally like carrot cake told me they love this cake. You won't be disappointed in this cake.
Fantastic, easy recipe. Stays moist. I reduced the sugar and cinnamon a bit, omitted the nuts (allergic) and threw in a few raisins (probably 1/4 cup). I couldn't get the burnt sugar to work, so I just left it out. I baked it in a non-stick metal bundt pan (the only kind of pan for carrot cake, in my humble opinion!) at 300F for 1 hour 15 minutes. No problem removing it from the pan -- I had greased the pan with butter and dusted it with flour. Perfect both times I made it. Everyone loved it!
Such a gorgeously moist cake. My pan was a bit too large and I couldn't split the cake in two, but I think it probably would have been to soft to do that safely anyway. Not a problem as I just piled the recommended cream cheese icing high!