Top Review by k r.
I have made this a few times and it is very easy and very good. I add a cup of finely chopped walnuts and half a cup of raisins as well as 1/4 tsp nutmeg. My batter seems to be a bit too wet so I add about 1/4 cup more flour. I used a bundt pan today and baked it for an hour and fifteen minutes at 325. Turned out perfect! Now to put on some cream cheese frosting...yummy!
- 1 1⁄4 cups canola oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon burnt sugar
- 3 cups carrots, grated
- 1 cup pecans, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- **To make burnt sugar, cook sugar in a small skillet over medium heat until it carmelizes; pour immediately into batter.
- Combine oil and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Sift dry ingredients together in another bowl and add half to oil and sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time, alternating with the remaining dry ingredients.
- Stir in carrots, flavorings and nuts.
- Pour into a greased 9 x 13 pan.
- Bake at 325°F for approximately 1 hour.
- Cool and frost.