Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Got this off of the Taste of Home Website last year. This is some awesome dressing! The original poster said this recipe had been in her family for over 70 years! I made this and brought it over to my brother's house for Thanksgiving. Everyone raved! It's a bit of work, but oh so worth it! I did it in stages. The day before, I cheated and baked some Pillsbury biscuits and 2 pans of Jiffy cornbread. I also used chicken parts instead of a whole bird, and made the broth the day before also. This is a true "Southern" dressing! Prep time does not include time for biscuits or cornbread. Note: Don't be alarmed at how thin this appears before it bakes. All the moisture will be absorbed by the cornbread and biscuits. Just make sure you stir frequently while it bakes, to ensure the moisture gets evenly distruted into the dry ingredients.
- 1 (6 lb) whole chicken
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 loaves cornbread, cooled and crumbled (9x9 inch pans)
- 12 biscuits, crumbled
- 2 cups diced celery
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried sage
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- seasoning salt
- 1 dash crushed red pepper flakes
- 9 eggs, beaten
- Place chicken, 1 onion, 2 stalks celery, and salt in a large pot enough water to cover.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and gently boil 90 minutes, or until chicken meat falls easily from the bone.
- Drain, reserving broth.
- Chop chicken, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Lightly grease a large baking dish.
- In a large bowl, mix crumbled cornbread, crumbled biscuits, 2 cups celery, 2 large onions, sage, poultry seasoning, seasoned salt, and red pepper.
- Stir in eggs and reserved chicken broth.
- The mixture should be very thin.
- Transfer mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- Bake 45 minutes in the preheated oven, stirring often.
- Mix chicken into the dressing mixture.
- Continue baking 15 minutes, until lightly browned.
This was fantastic! Because it is a bit of work as written and i wanted to be able to have it more often than a holiday, i made a few little changes. I used a rotisserie chicken and storebought organic chicken broth, as well as cut the recipe in half. Pillsbury biscuits and a cornbread skillet recipe.