Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
A co-worker gave me this receipe. She cut it out of a local news paper.
Make and share this European Kraut Soup recipe from Food.com.
- Cook mushrooms in 1 quart of water for 30 minutes.
- Add kraut and cook for another 25 minutes.
- Lightly brown onion in 1 tablespoon butter and add to soup.
- In a saucepan, melt remaining butter.
- Whisk in flour and lightly brown.
- Add flour mixture to mushrooms, kraut and onions. Cook 1 -2 minutes longer.
- Add salt to taste.
- Top each serving with a dash of paprika.
Both my husband and I really enjoyed this. I used milk, and I'm glad I did, because I don't know if it would have been creamy enough if I hadn't. I cooked the whole time on a low setting. I did get a little worried when it seemed like the milk was curdling, but 20 minutes after I added the sauerkraut, it worked itself out. Overall, I was very impressed, and happy to finally find a recipe that combined my husband's two favorite foods. Thank you.