Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
5-Ingredient Fix Contest Entry! It's a Gyro in a Haystack! Travel through Europe from the comfort of your kitchen with the help of Simply Potatoes paired with the classic ingredients of a Greek favorite! Opa! (Note: adjust garlic to suit your tastes, we love it so we used a lot).
- 1 (20 ounce) package Simply Potatoes® Shredded Hash Browns
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 6 -8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 -3 plum tomatoes (roma tomatoes)
- 1⁄2 cup tzatziki, sauce (store-bought, your favorite brand)
- Preheat the oven to 375'F. Pat potatoes with paper towels to remove excess water. Spread potatoes out in an even layer on a greased baking sheet. Put potatoes in oven and bake for about 30 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through, lightly browned and crisp. Set potatoes aside until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, combine minced garlic with the ground lamb, and shape into 12-15 mini patties. Cook patties in skillet until desired doneness. Set cooked patties on paper towels to drain excess oil and set aside.
- Slice tomatoes into 12-15 rounds. Set aside.
- Pull apart the potatoes and pile into 12-15 small "haystacks". Top each haystack with a lamb patty, then top the lamb with a tomato slice, then top the tomato with a small dollop of tzatziki sauce. Continue this process until you have assembled 12-15 little haystacks! Serve as appetizers.
- Note: these are meant to be 1-2 bites, although a little messy, we just picked them up and ate them all in one bite, it's all the flavors together that makes them so yummy!