1/1 Photo of Etta's Crab Cakes (Tom Douglas)
1 hr 30 mins
Living in Seattle, and having eaten these at Etta's, I can attest that Etta's Crab Cakes are superb. They are included in "I Love Crab Cakes: 50 Recipes for an American Classic" by Tom Douglas with Shelley Lance and have been "rereleased" (so to speak) on numerous other websites. One hour of the estimated preparation time is chilling time. Timing is based on buying (admittedly pricey)Dungeness crab meat. If buying cooked crabs and planning to extract crab meat yourself, add at least an hour.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 lb fresh dungeness crabmeat, picked clean of shell and lightly squeezed if wet
- 4 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 4 tablespoons approx. unsalted butter
- 1In a small food processor, combine egg yolk, vinegar, mustard, bell pepper, onion, parsley, Tabasco, paprika, thyme, salt and pepper.
- 2Pulse to mince the vegetables and combine the ingredients.
- 3With motor running, slowly add oil through the feed tube until the mixture emulsifies and forms a thin mayonnaise.
- 4Transfer mayonnaise mixture to a large bowl and stir in sour cream, then carefully fold in crabmeat.
- 5Gently form into 8 crabcakes, about 3 inches across and ¾-inch thick.
- 6Put the fresh bread crumbs in a shallow container and stir in parsley.
- 7Lightly dredge the crab cakes on both sides in the bread crumbs.
- 8Chill for at least 1 hour (preferably longer).
- 9Put 2 large nonstick skillets over medium heat and add about 2 tablespoons butter to each pan. When butter is melted, add 4 cakes to each pan.
- 10Gently fry until golden brown on both sides and hot through, turning once with a spatula, about 4 minutes on each side.
- 11Depending on appetites, suggest service of two crab cakes per serving, with lemon wedges.
Browse Our Top Crab Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Etta's Crab Cakes (Tom Douglas)
Serving Size: 1 (190 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 794.3
- Calories from Fat 324
- Total Fat 36.0 g
- Saturated Fat 12.6 g
- Cholesterol 150.9 mg
- Sodium 1301.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 35.6 g