Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my mom's recipe - it is the best soup ever! Not only is it healthy, but it is hearty and chocked full of flavor!
- 1 lb sweet Italian turkey sausage, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can butter beans, rinsed and drained (or white kidney beans)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes (preferably the ones with basil, garlic, and oregano)
- 1 (14 ounce) can fat free chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- In a large sauacepan or dutch oven over medium heat cook sausage, chicken, onion, and garlic in oil until sausage is no longer pink.
- Add spinach, beans, tomatoes (with their liquid), broth, and crushed red pepper flakes - bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat - simmer 20 minutes (or longer!) to blend flavors.
- Sprinkle individual servings with cheese.
- PS - sometimes I like to use hot turkey sausage, it really kicks it up!
Great soup! I added a little to much pepper flakes though. I made small shell pasta to add to the soup made it great. This reminds me a little of the zuppa tuscana soup that olive garden makes.