This is my mom's recipe - it is the best soup ever! Not only is it healthy, but it is hearty and chocked full of flavor!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb sweet Italian turkey sausage, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can butter beans, rinsed and drained (or white kidney beans)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes (preferably the ones with basil, garlic, and oregano)
- 1 (14 ounce) can fat free chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- 1In a large sauacepan or dutch oven over medium heat cook sausage, chicken, onion, and garlic in oil until sausage is no longer pink.
- 2Add spinach, beans, tomatoes (with their liquid), broth, and crushed red pepper flakes - bring to a boil.
- 3Reduce heat - simmer 20 minutes (or longer!) to blend flavors.
- 4Sprinkle individual servings with cheese.
- 5PS - sometimes I like to use hot turkey sausage, it really kicks it up!
Browse Our Top Low Cholesterol Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Etruscan Peasant Soup
Serving Size: 1 (264 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 262.5
- Calories from Fat 87
- Total Fat 9.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 61.5 mg
- Sodium 1324.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 24.2 g