Prep 2 hrs
Cook 0 mins
The annual prize-giving at Eton College - one of the England's foremost private schools - is held on June 4th. On that day, parents and pupils picnic on the famous playing fields with this luscious dish as part of their meal.
- 1 lb strawberry
- 6 tablespoons kirsch
- 16 fluid ounces heavy whipping cream
- 6 meringues, shells crushed
- Reserve a few small strawberries, chop the remainder and place in a bowl.
- Sprinkle the kirsch over the berries, cover and chill for 2-3 hours.
- Whip the cream until it stands in soft peaks.
- Gently fold in the strawberries and their juices and the meringues.
- Spoon into a glass serving dish and decorate with the reserved strawberries just before serving.
How could anything with this list of ingredients be anything other than scrumptious? Once a year is probably about as often as the poor old diet will take of this, but mark it on your calendar and have something to look forward to.
Looked up this recipe after having it at a friend's house during strawberry season. It's divine -- fresh and light and hard to stop eating. But, being American, can't resist adding a bit of sugar to the cream as it whips.