Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Homemakers magazine Serve with Ethiopian Sauteed Lamb or Beef ( Ethiopian Sauteed Lamb or Beef )
- 473.18 ml ripe tomatoes, seeded & diced or 473.18 ml cherry tomatoes, diced
- 354.88 ml cucumbers, diced
- 59.14 ml sweet onion, diced
- 1 green hot pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 19.71 ml lemon juice
- 9.85 ml balsamic vinegar or 9.85 ml red wine vinegar
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 9.85 ml extra virgin olive oil
- Toss together all ingredients except olive oil.
- Sprinkle with olive oil.
Excellent and refreshing salad, and authentic too. I spent a month in Ethiopia in 2009, and their salads tend to have sharp, sour flavours. I made half a batch, but the full amount of dressing so it's ready for the repeat salad I will make tomorrow. :) Used red onion, balsamic vinegar and an anaheim chilli. Thanks so much for posting.
Lots of cucumbers and tomatoes from the garden this time of year. I was looking for a way to use them up. I tripled the recipe and took them to a family reunion. It was ok, but I wasn't as well received as traditional tomato/cucumber salads. More than half the tray was left at the end of the day. I made this with the red wine because it is what I had on hand. If I make it again I think will try it with balsamic instead.
We love this salad and it's a great compliment to spicy mains. I do kick it up a little by using two Serrano chili peppers and some paprika, and I double the dressing because it's that tasty.