Recipe by yewoinfamilycooking
Spicy Chicken Stew is one of the main elements of Ethiopian Cooking.
Top Review by Faux Cordon Bleu
I really enjoyed this stew and will certainly be making it again. My few adjustments were: 1 teaspoon of cardamom essence (instead of powder / regular cumin (instead of black cumin) / red chili flakes (instead of chili powder). I also added 1 tablespoon of sage powder, 1 teaspoon of ginger powder and 1 tablespoon of black pepper. It was fantastic. Thanks for posting.
- 4 chicken drumsticks, 4 chicken breasts, 4 chicken thighs
- 6 cups red onions (thinly chopped) or 6 cups shallots (thinly chopped)
- 1 1⁄2 cups red chili powder (berbere)
- 1 1⁄2 cups clarified butter (Nitir Kebe)
- 6 garlic cloves (peeled and minced)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black cumin
- 1⁄2 cup red wine (if preferred)
- 1 teaspoon false cardamom powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 cups water
- 2 limes or 2 lemons
- 8 eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove skin, fat and trim the end bones from the chicken pieces; wash the pieces three times in cold water with piece of lemon/lime; soak in fresh cold water with fresh sliced pieces of limes/lemons and a pinch of salt (10 minutes).
- In medium pot cook the onion using two cups of water by adding one tablespoon each time until the onion is golden brown and soft (20-25 minutes).
- Add one cup of water to the cooked onion, bebere(red chili powder), garlic, black cumin, red wine, and stir it well for 10 minutes; add the purified butter and mix it very well (10 minutes);.
- Remove lime/lemon and rinse the chicken pieces with fresh water and pat dry; make 2 one inch slits very lightly on each piece (to marinate the chicken pieces); add the pieces to the stew (10 minutes);.
- Add three cups of water; cover the lid and stir the stew more often. After 15 minutes add the rest of the spices - false cardamom, black pepper and salt; mix them well. Cook it for another 30 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, boil the eggs for 15 minutes; Remove the shell;.
- Add the hard-boiled eggs to the chicken stew. Remove the stew from heat.
- Serve it hot with Injera (Ethiopian flat bread) or with any kind of bread.