Recipe by yewoinfamilycooking
The recipe orginated from southern part of Ethiopia and now it is being enjoyed by all. Here is the recipe with my own twist to it.
- 1 lb farmer cheese, unsalted (or home-made cheese)
- 1 lb collard greens
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter (Nitir Kebe)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne powder (Mitimita)
- 1⁄2 onion (cut in halves)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom powder (korerima)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the collard green leaves and discard the stems; Wash the leaves in cold water.
- Boil water in a large pot; add onion, clove garlic, black pepper, and the collard greens. Cook the collard greens for 15 minutes until the leaves collapse altogether.
- Strain the collard greens and discard onion, garlic and water. Place the collard greens on a platter or flat pan to dry; chop finely the collard greens.
- In a bowl, flake the cheese with forks.
- Combine the chopped collard greens and the cheese.
- In small pot, on a lower heat, melt the butter, add Mitmita (cayenne), false cardamom, white pepper, garlic powder; Remove from heat;.
- Pour the spiced melted butter on the collard-cheese mixture; Mix it well until completely marinated; add salt if needed.
- Serve it at room temperature. Keep the rest in the fridge.