Recipe by Olha
Recipe includes spice mix if you can't find it in the supermarkets.
Top Review by canthelpmyself
Although I thought the flavour combination is fantastic and I am at this moment making up another big batch of it for using on just everything I am only giving it 3 stars because it was unbearably hot. I am very used to hot food and found it way too hot and my poor husband could barely eat it. I followed the spice mix directions ecaxctely. I subbed half the lentils for the same weight in sweet potato and because it was so spicy I added one zucchini, and some spinach and also lemon juice. I served it with rice. I am making it again because I like the spice combination but I am not adding any chili this time but will add it in depending what I am cooking. thanks for posting
- 453.59 g lentils
- 1419.54 ml water or 1419.54 ml vegetable broth
- 1419.54 ml mild green chilies, roasted peeled, seeded and chopped* (See note)
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (or more)
- fresh ground black pepper
BEREBERE SPICE MIX (use 2 tablespoons)
- 9.85 ml cumin seeds or 9.85 ml powdered cumin
- 4.92 ml cardamom seeds (shell off husks) or 4.92 ml cardamom powder
- 2.46 ml whole allspice (or ground)
- 4.92 ml fenugreek seeds (or powder)
- 4.92 ml coriander seed (or powder)
- 8 whole cloves or 8 ground cloves
- 4.92 ml black peppercorns or 4.92 ml freshly ground peppercorn
- 24.64 ml red pepper flakes or 24.64 ml crumbled dried red peppers
- 14.79 ml grated fresh gingerroot (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 4.92 ml turmeric
- 4.92 ml salt
- 44.37 ml sweet paprika (can use hot)
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring lentils and broth to boil and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add chiles, onion, garlic, and Berebere spices. Cook covered for another 30 minutes, until most of liquid is absorbed.
- Serve with ground black pepper to taste.
- For a vegetarian meal, these lentils are good with a dollop of yogurt, brown rice and sliced tomatoes.
- BEREBERE SPICE MIX:.
- Toast all the seeds and whole cloves in a small frying pan for 2 minutes, stirring constantly (open window or turn on the stove vent--it can smoke). Grind the spices in a spice grinder. If you are using pre-ground spices, ignore and go on to the next step.
- Mix all remaining ingredients. Place in a tightly covered container and refrigerate. This mixture can used with many combinations of legumes, rice or vegetables.
- NOTE: *OR: 1 bell pepper chopped + 14-oz can chopped green chiles.
- NOTE TWO : There are two ways to make this berebere spice mix - with whole spices that you grind, or with powdered versions of the spices. The first way gives you a more powerful flavor, but it may be more practical the second way, particularly if you don't have a spice grinder.
- Yield: 6 to 10 servings.