Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Fava beans have a nutty taste. This is a really yummy way to prepare them. Recipe by Angela Shelf Medearis.
- 2 cups fresh fava beans, washed
- 6 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups red onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Put the beans in a large pot and cover with the water. Boil until the beans are tender but not mushy. This could take anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes, depending on the freshness of the beans.
- In a skillet, heat the oil until it is hot (but not smoking) and then saute the onion and garlic. Add the cayenne, cumin and salt. Cook until the onion has softened, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the onion and garlic mixture to the beans and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
I love it when simple ingredients put together turn out to be so tasty!! This will be made again.