1/3 Photos of Ethiopian Doro Wat (Chicken Stew)
From Nirmala Narine. A little different than the other doro wat's posted. This stew is spicy, so please keep that in mind if you try it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (3 lb) roasting chickens (cut into pieces, rinsed and patted dry)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup berbere
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, sliced for garnish
- 1Heat oil in a pan and brown the chicken. When all pieces are light brown, remove chicken.
- 2In the same pan, without removing the oil, add butter, onion, ginger and garlic; cook until golden brown.
- 3Add berbere and saute the mixture over low heat until it browns.
- 4Add chicken stock and lime juice, simmer 3-4 minutes.
- 5Return the chicken to the pan, cover, and simmer slowly for 30 minutes, turning the chicken from time to time.
- 6Transfer the stew to a platter, garnish with eggs, and serve with injera or pita bread.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ethiopian Doro Wat (Chicken Stew)
Serving Size: 1 (308 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 508.0
- Calories from Fat 343
- Total Fat 38.1 g
- Saturated Fat 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 243.2 mg
- Sodium 262.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 31.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: