1/3 Photos of Ethiopian Doro Wat (Chicken Stew)
From Nirmala Narine. A little different than the other doro wat's posted. This stew is spicy, so please keep that in mind if you try it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (3 lb) roasting chickens (cut into pieces, rinsed and patted dry)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup berbere
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, sliced for garnish
- 1Heat oil in a pan and brown the chicken. When all pieces are light brown, remove chicken.
- 2In the same pan, without removing the oil, add butter, onion, ginger and garlic; cook until golden brown.
- 3Add berbere and saute the mixture over low heat until it browns.
- 4Add chicken stock and lime juice, simmer 3-4 minutes.
- 5Return the chicken to the pan, cover, and simmer slowly for 30 minutes, turning the chicken from time to time.
- 6Transfer the stew to a platter, garnish with eggs, and serve with injera or pita bread.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ethiopian Doro Wat (Chicken Stew)
Serving Size: 1 (308 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 508.0
- Calories from Fat 343
- Total Fat 38.1 g
- Saturated Fat 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 243.2 mg
- Sodium 262.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 31.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: