Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is one of the delicious side-dishes of Ethiopia.
- 1 lb collard greens
- 1 lb lamb chops or 1 lb beef rib
- 2 tablespoons butter (Nitir Kebe)
- 1 red onions (finely chopped) or 1 shallot (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 cups water (or more as desired)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 tablespoon ginger juice or 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 3 hot green peppers (seeded and sliced)
- salt and pepper
- Cut the ribs in smaller sizes and the meat in small strips; wash it with cold water;.
- Boil water in large pot and put the cleaned ribs and the meat. Cook it for 10 minutes and strain.
- Separate the leaves cut the end stems and discard; wash the leaves in cold water. Chop the leaves in desired size; keep it in cold water.
- Boil water in a large pot and add the collard green. Cook it for 10 minutes and strain.
- In a medium pot, sauté the onion, the fresh garlic with gradually adding one cup of water (10 minutes).
- Add to the onion, butter, ginger juice, the ribs; stir for five minutes.
- Add the meat; stir for another five minutes; add three cups water, garlic powder, false cardamom, salt and black pepper; boil for two-three minutes.
- Add the cooked collard green to the meat stew; Cover and cook it for 15 minutes.
- Add the hot peppers and remove from heat. Serve it warm.