Recipe by Meg Dolan
I had an appetizer salad at an Ethiopian restaurant in Chicago when I visited, and this is my approximation of it.
- 1 lb waxy potato (such as yukon gold, red or pink)
- 1 lb beet (I usually use mid-size dark red beets)
- 1⁄2 medium size red onion
- 1 jalapeno (can use more for higher heat)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and boil the beets until tender, 45-60 minutes depending on size. Wash and boil the potatoes until tender, 30-40 minutes depending on size. Chill both with cold water and slip the skins off. Slice beets and potatoes to 1/4" thickness. Finely mince the jalapeno. Thinly slice the red onion. Toss all ingredients in a bowl and serve chilled.