Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
It is a delicious dish with Injera (Ethiopian flat bread). I like it because it was my grandfather's favorite dish.
- 1 cup split red lentils
- 1 lb beef (top or bottom round) or 1 lb beef jerky
- 2 tablespoons chili peppers (Berbere)
- 1 red onions (thinly chopped) or 1 shallot (thinly chopped)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter (Nitir kebe)
- 4 garlic cloves (diced) or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom powder (if available)
- salt and black pepper
- Sauté the onion with ½ cup of water and two tablespoons of oil for 5 minutes or until tender.
- 2nd Step: To the cooked onion add half cup of water, chili powder (berbere), butter, garlic and black pepper. Stir for 10 minutes.
- To the boiling sauce, add half cup of water, fried meat without grease or beef jerky and cook it until tender (10 minutes).
- Meanwhile, bring to boil 4 cups of water in a medium pot. Rinse the lentils with fresh water and add to it. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the foam with spoon from the lentils and discard . Lightly drain the extra water in a container or a cup.
- Combine the lentils and the beef jerky sauce. Mix well. If more water is needed, use the set-aside water. Cook the stew for 20 minutes or until it simmers.
- Add false cardamom and salt to taste. Remove from heat. Serve it warm with Injera, pita bread etc.