Top Review by Meg Dolan
I really enjoyed this recipe. I tried it to share with some vegan friends and it was a big hit with all of us. I like having the berbere spice on hand in the fridge to use whenever I want this dish. It was fairly easy to prepare. I used purple cabbage because I try to keep things colorful at dinner, and it was just beautiful alongside the Ethiopian Lentils and Yams I made with it. Have made this dish multiple times now and enjoyed it every time. Still decent left-over... if there is anything left over!
- 200 g onions, chopped
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 3 teaspoons berbere, spice
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into 3cm slices
- 4 green bell peppers, de-seeded and quartered
- 700 ml water
- 180 ml passata (tomato sauce)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 potatoes, cut into thick slices
- 2 tomatoes, blanched, skinned and cut into 8 wedges each
- 8 cabbage, wedges 3cm at the widest part
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Add the oil and onions to a large saucepan and fry until the onions have softened, add berbere, fry for a minute then add the carrots, green peppers, water, tomato sauce, salt and ground ginger. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes before adding the potatoes and tomatoes. Cover and cook for 10 minutes before adding the cabbage. Season to taste and cook until the vegetables are completely tender (about 25 minutes).
- Portion out into bowls and serve.