Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Very special, melt in your mouth heaven!!!
- 4 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups homemade or store bought lemon curd, chilled,recipe for homemade follows in 'zaar
- 2 cups mixed fresh ripe berries
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat oven to 225f degrees.
- Trace a 9 inch circle on a sheet of parachment paper.
- Place the paper on a baking sheet.
- Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer on medium speed in a large bowl until foamy.
- Increase the speed to medium high and add the cream of tartar and salt, and beat just until the egg whites form soft peaks.
- Add the granulated sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, and continue beating just until stiff peaks are formed.
- Spoon the meringue into a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip.
- Starting at the outside edge of the circle traced on the partachment paper, pipe the meringue into a spiral to fill the circle.
- Holding the pastry bag upright and starting at the outer edge of the meringue, pipe 1 tier of rosettes along the edge to make a rim, then pipe a second tier or rosettes on the shoulders of the first tier.
- Or, if you don't have a pastry bag, spoon the meringue in circle scooping the sides upward to form a rim.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until the meringue is dry to touch.
- Turn off the oven and leave the meringue in the oven for 2 hours.
- Peel off the paper.
- Store the meringue, tightly wrapped, if not using immediately.
- Just before serving, beat the cream with an electric mixer on high speed in a large bowl just until stiff peaks form.
- Beat in the lemon curd just until combined well.
- Spoon the lemon filling into the meringue shell, arrange the berries on top and lightly sift confectioners' sugar over the berries.
- Serve immediately.
This recipe is very easy to make. Great instructions. I made this for Thanksgiving and everyone was moaning at how good this is. I forgot to buy berries, but no one missed them. I didn't mix the lemon curd with the whipped cream. I spread the lemon curd on the crust and then spread the whipped cream over it leaving a border so everyone could see the pretty yellow color. If you've never made a meringue, please try this recipe. It's very easy and everyone will think you're a genius.