Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Recipe from the book "Which Big Giver Stole the Chopped Liver" by Sharon Kahn.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken livers
- 1⁄2 cup chicken fat, rendered
- 1 extra large onion, chopped
- 3 hard-boiled eggs
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Broil the livers until they are cooked through, not rare. Set aside on a plate.
- In a skillet or large frying pan, melt the chicken fat then add the chopped onions. Stir the onions to coat in the chicken fat. Cover and turn down heat to medium-low.
- After 10 minutes, sprinkle a pinch of salt over the onions and stir. Return cover over pan and then every 3 minutes, uncover and stir the onions again. After 5 stirs of the skillet, the onions should be nice and brown.
- In a food processor or blender, add the livers, onions, eggs and several twists of the black pepper (1 tsp) then pulse several times to mix. No need to grind to a paste - consistency is preferred.
- Chill in the shape to be served and serve with crackers.