Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Goes nicely with braised red cabbage.
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground veal
- 1⁄2 lb ground lean pork
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb, pulverized in a blender or shredded with a fork
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup cold water
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a large mixing bowl, combine everything except for 1/2 cup bread crumbs and the oil, and knead with your hands for 5-10 minutes or until mixture is smooth, light and fluffy.
- Moisten your hands with cold water and shape the mixture into 8 thick, round patties, then dip each in the remaining 1/2 cup of bread crumbs, thoroughly coating both sides.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a heavy 10-12" skillet over high heat until a haze forms above it.
- Fry the patties 4 at a time for about 5-10 minutes on each side, regulating the heat so that they brown deeply, but don't burn.
- To make sure that they are fully cooked insert the tip of a knife into one of the patties, spreading it slightly apart, and look to see that there is no pink.
- If it is still pink in the middle, lower the heat and cook a few minutes longer, if not serve immediately.