Recipe by Sarah_Jayne
A traditional Estonia bread that I am told is normally eaten warm with butter and honey. Sounds great to me!
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups barley flour
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed (optional)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the dry ingredients and caraway seeds (if using) together in a large dish.
- Whisk together the egg, buttermilk, and vegetable oil.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until blended. Do not over mix. You will get something between batter and dough.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Brush an 8 inch cast-iron skillet with the butter.
- Spoon the mixture into the skillet and smooth top with a rubber spatula.
- Sprinkle the remaining butter over the top.
- Bake until golden brown and a cake tester comes out clean for about 50 minutes.