Esther’s Moroccan Chicken Tagine
- Rub all pieces of chicken with a mixture of salt, pepper and cumin. Let stand for 1 hour.
- In a separate saucepan, cover the prunes with cold water and add the cinnamon. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 -30 minutes depending on dryness of prunes.
- Steam the onions in the casserole with the turmeric, saffron, ginger, salt, pepper and ¼ cup of water for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile brown the almonds in a saucepan with oil and drain onto paper towels.
- Using the same oil and pan, brown chicken on all sides then transfer to the steamed onions and add 1 cup water. (this can be transferred into the tagine at this point and placed in oven ). Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the cooked prunes and some of the prune water to the tagine and continue cooking until the chicken and prunes are really tender.
- To serve, place chicken pieces on a serving dish (or simply leave in the tagine). Cover with prunes and sauce, then sprinkle with almonds and sesame seeds (if desired).