Recipe by mandabears
This recipe is from Jan Karon's series about Mitford and Father Tim. One of his parishoners is famous for her orange marmalade cake and I found the recipe on the Better Homes and Garden Web Site. Good cake!!!
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 6 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 16 ounces orange marmalade
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 5 -6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
Directions See How It's Made
- CAKE: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray three 9 inch greased and floured cake pans.
- In a large bowl beat cake mix, oil, eggs, water and orange zest.
- Mix until well blended.
- Divide batter evenly among 3 cake pans.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center.
- Cool in pans for 15 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool completely on racks.
- in a medium bowl beat cream cheese and softened butter with a mixer until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add sugar a little at a time until mixture becomes spreadable consistency.
- Stir in orange zest.
- TO ASSEMBLE CAKE:.
- Place 1 cake layer on a serving plate.
- Cut off raised part.
- Spread 1/2 cup orange marmalade on top of cake.
- Spread 1/2 cup frosting over marmalade.
- Repeat with second layer.
- Top cake with third layer and spread evenly with frosting.
- Swirl remaining marmalade on top of cake.