Recipe by AB_Fan
From Delectably Danish - Recipes and Reflections - by Julie Jensen McDonald. Rising time not included in prep time. Number of Servings is a guestimate.
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 1 quart buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 3 tablespoons lard
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 6 cups rye flour
- 6 cups whole wheat flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Soften yeast in warm water.
- Heat buttermilk until lukewarm.
- Mix in all ingredients and knead.
- Let stand overnight, covered.
- Punch down in the morning.
- Divide into 3 loaves and let rise in 9x5 loaf pans for 10 minutes
- Place cooking sheet over pans with a weight on top while baking.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes, then at 250 degrees F for 1 hour 45 minutes
- Bread should be sliced very thin for serving.