Vegetable stock has light smooth aromatic flavor. Vegetable stock can be used instead of water for steaming fish, vegetables or meats.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 lbs brown onions (Cut in Wedges)
- 2 lbs carrots (Chopped)
- 2 lbs celery (Chopped)
- 2 lbs celery root (Chopped)
- 1⁄2 lb fennel, branches (Chopped)
- 1 lb parsnip (Chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (Chopped)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 bunch parsley (Chopped)
- 12 sprigs thyme (Chopped)
- 6 sprigs summer savory (Chopped)
- 6 sprigs marjoram (Chopped)
- 3 sprigs rosemary (Chopped)
- 6 black peppercorns
- 6 juniper berries
- 2 cups Chardonnay wine
- 1⁄2 cup rice wine vinegar
- In a 12-quart stock pot add olive oil, salt, pepper, vegetables, garlic and bay leaves. Sweat vegetables for 10-minutes. Do not let the vegetables brown.
- Add fresh herbs and spices. Cover with cold water, bring to a full boil and reduce to a simmer uncovered for 15-minutes.
- Add Chardonnay wine, Rice wine vinegar and simmer for 20-minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool. Strain stock with a fine-mesh sieve. Cool stock with a ice bath, cover and refrigerate. Stock will keep for 1-2 days.
- Chef's note: You can add any vegetables you have to the stock.