Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
A tasty Mexican street corn salad with an amazing blend of sweet corn, salty cheese, sour lime juice and a hint of spicy chili powder; pure summer in a bowl. From J. Kenji Lopez-Alt is the Chief Creative Officer of Serious Eats.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 ears fresh corn, shucked, kernels removed (about 3 cups fresh corn kernels)
- kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 ounces Cotija cheese or 2 ounces feta cheese, finely crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup finely sliced green onion
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and stemmed, finely chopped
- 1 -2 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- chili powder or hot chili flakes, to taste
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet or wok over high heat until shimmering. Add corn kernels, season to taste with salt, toss once or twice, and cook without moving until charred on one side, about 2 minutes. Toss corn, stir, and repeat until charred on second side, about 2 minutes longer. Continue tossing and charring until well charred all over, about 10 minutes total. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add mayonnaise, cheese, scallions, cilantro, jalapeno, garlic, lime juice, and chili powder and toss to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and more chili powder to taste. Serve immediately.