Recipe by mandabears
This recipe is a little different that the other Esquites already posted. It uses fresh corn kernels that are roasted in a skillet, not on the cob. I love esquites and eat it in Mexico whenever I get a chance. I am unable to include 1/2 jalapeño pepper in the ingredient list, so I am putting it here.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups corn kernels, cut from the cob, uncooked, about 4 ears
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise, I use Duke's light
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, juice of
- 2 tablespoons Cotija cheese, crumbled, can use feta cheese
- chili powder, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a heavy skillet over medium high heat.
- Add corn and toss the corn.
- Cook until charred, about 6 minutes.
- Toss the corn and cook again until charred again, about 6-10 minutes more.
- Add the jalapeño and sauté for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.