Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Decadent, rich, espresso flavor makes these bars a hit. I got this recipe from Food & Wine stand mixer Recipes.
- 1⁄2 lb butter, unsalted, softened
- 9 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso (or finely ground espresso beans)
- 4 tablespoons butter, unsalted, softened
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso, strong-brewed (or instant)
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 20 chocolate-covered coffee beans, halved (espresso beans)
- Preheat oven to 300. Line 9x13 baking pan with parchment paper.
- For the BARS: In a large bowl beat butter and sugar at med speed until fluffy and very pale. Beat in vanilla and salt. In a small bowl, combine flour and espresso powder. Add dry ingredients to large bowl in 3rds, scraping and beating until just combined.
- Firmly press dough into the baking pan in an even layer using plastic wrap on top with a flat utensil to spread to entire pan. Toss plastic.
- Bake about 40 minutes or until very lightly browned and firm but not solid to the touch. Do not over cook. Cool pan on rack about 10 minutes.
- Cut bars into 5 strips by 8 strips. (40 bars) Cool completely.
- For the GLAZE: In a small saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar, espresso, corn syrup and salt. Boil over moderate heat, swirling the pan, until slightly thickened (1-2 minutes). Remove from heat. When bubbling subsides, pour quickly over shortbread, spreading in an even layer with a spatula. Using a lightly oiled knife, score the glaze without dragging, along cuts. Press an espresso bean in the center of each bar. Cool slightly then separate bars and transfer to a plate.