Prep 9 hrs
Cook 4 hrs
This is very tasty. It needs to be cooked low and long over indirect heat for a tender brisket. Have an oven thermometer handy to gauge the heat of your grill. Recipe from the Chicago Tribune Good Eating section May '11. Adapted from "Fire It Up!" by Andrew Schloss & David Joachim PLAN AHEAD: Prep & Chill time = 8 hours, Cooking time = 4-6 hours. Also you will be making Espresso Grill Sauce Espresso Grilling Sauce and a rub (see below).
- 3 -4 lbs center cut flat beef brisket, trimmed with 1/4-inch fat on one side
- 2 lemons, juiced save peels for zesting in rub
- 2 cups strong brewed coffee, preferably espresso roast
- 1⁄4 molasses
- 2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 3⁄4 cup espresso, rub recipe to follow
- 1 cup espresso, grilling sauce, recipe to follow
- In a small bowl: mix lemon juice, coffee, molasses, balsamic vinegar, salt and 1 teaspoon of espresso rub. Set aside.
- Rub the remaining espresso rub all sides of the brisket. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 8 hours.
- Remove meat from refrigerator and rest at room temperature, about one hour.
- Prepare grill for indirect medium-low heat, about 250°. Coat grates with oil.
- Put the brisket, fatty side up, on the grill away from the heat; cover the grill.
- Cook until severely browned and blackened in spots or very well done (about 170 degrees on an instant read thermometer), 4-6 hours total.
- Mop or drizzle the brisket with the espresso sauce on both sides, wherever the surface looks dry, every 45 minutes during the entire cooking time.
- After 2 hours of cooking, put the brisket in an aluminum foil pan, fatty side up; return the brisket to the grill away from direct heat. Cover the grill; continue cooking. You only need to mop the sauce on the top of the brisket once the meat is on the foil pan.
- Remove the pan from the heat; let rest for 20 minutes.
- Trim off any excess fat; slice across the grain. Serve with grilling sauce.
- The grill temperature /oven gauge should read 250° the entire cooking time.
- If using charcoal add fresh coals once every hour.
- ESPRESSO RUB:.
- In a bowl mix together.
- 2 Tablespoon of each: finely ground dark roast coffee or espresso powder, smoked paprika or regular, dark brown sugar, coarse salt, ground black pepper.
- 1 Tablespoon of each: ground ancho chili, finely grated lemon zest.
- Can be stored in a tightly closed container for up to 1 week.
- Yield: 3/4°C.
- ESPRESSO GRILLING SAUCE.
- 1 cup brewed strong dark roast coffee.
- 1 cup ketchup.
- 1/4 cup dark brown mustard.
- 1/3 cup honey.
- 2 tablespoons citrus juice, lemon, lime, orange.
- 2 tablespoons of each: hot pepper sauce, ground black pepper, teaspoons coarse salt.
- Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan and heat to a boil.
- Lower the heat; simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Best if made ahead and refrigerated overnight.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 30 days.
- Yields: 2 1/2 cups.