Recipe by LilKiwiChicken
This is from Donna Hay's Autumn Issue 2 (from about 2001 I think). I added more vanilla (you can reduce this to half if you only like a slight vanilla taste) and used raw sugar (not as sweet). I have made this with raspberries as well (see separate recipe). Looks great in a clear glass so you can see the pretty marbled effect (and no messy unmoulding!) Time doesn't include refrigeration time.
- 2 cups cream
- 1⁄3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 2 teaspoons gelatin
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1⁄4 cup espresso coffee, liquid
- 1⁄4 cup raw sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Espresso syrup - Put coffee & raw sugar in a small saucepan and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Simmer 5 minutes or until thick and syrupy. Set aside to cool totally.
- Panna Cotta - Put cream, powdered sugar & vanilla bean in a saucepan over low heat & simmer slowly, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced by approximately one third. Remove from the heat.
- Put gelatine in a bowl, cover with the milk & stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir into cream mixture and simmer for 1 minute longer.
- Remove vanilla bean & allow mixture to cool.
- Drizzle the coffee syrup over the inside of 4 clear glass moulds/ramekins/glasses.
- Fill immediately with cooled panna cotta mixture. Cover & refrigerate for 4-6 hours or until firm.