Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
A brownie with a not-too-strong coffee Kahlua flavor. Very much a great classic brownie, but with that extra ummphh. More cake-like than seriously fudgy. A very sophisticated brownie and a great hostess or holiday gift.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons Kahlua
- 1⁄4 cup instant espresso powder (found in coffee section of the supermarket)
- 1⁄2 lb sweet butter
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup mini chocolate chip
- 2⁄3 cup chopped nuts (your choice)
- Preheat oven to 375° F and line a 9 x 13" pan with aluminum foil and spray with Pam.
- Cream butter and sugars, beating well.
- Add eggs, Kahlua, vanilla and espresso powder and mix.
- Add melted chocolate, then dry ingredients, nuts and chocolate chips.
- Turn into prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- The brownies will feel very soft.
- DO NOT overbake.
- Let brownies cool in the pan for 15 minutes (minimum) and remove them to cool on a wire rack.
- Wrap each brownie in wax paper or cellophane as they have a tendency to dry out if left out for long.