Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Make and share this Espresso-Hazelnut Biscotti recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 1 egg, beaten with
- 1 teaspoon water
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter and flour 2 baking sheets, knocking out excess flour.
- In a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachemt (or you can use a hand-held mixer like I do), beat together the flour, brown sugar, espresso powder, zest, baking soda, baking powder, and salt until well combined. Beat in eggs and vanilla just until a dough forms. Stir in hazelnuts.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead dough several times. Halve dough with floured hands and form each half into a flattish log, 13" long by 1" wide. Put both logs at least 4" apart on one baking sheet and brush with egg wash.
- Bake logs in the center of the oven for 30 minutes. Cool on baking sheet set over a rack for 10 minutes.
- Transfer logs, one at a time, to a cutting board. Use a serrated knife to slice the logs on a crosswise diagonal into 3/4-inch-thick slices.
- Arrange biscotti, cut sides down, on 2 baking sheets.
- Bake biscotti in upper and lower thirds of oven for 8 minutes. Remove sheets from oven and turn biscotti over with a spatula. Return biscotti to oven, switching positions of sheets, and bake 8 minutes more, or until biscotti are slightly darker. Transfer biscotti to racks and cool.
- Biscotti keep 3 days in an airtight container at room temperature.
Yum! Interesting flavour combination and very more-ish. Definately needed the serrated knife to cut as the outside is quite crisp. Possibly should have cooked mine a little longer when I realised that although the ends of the logs were cooked, the middle was sticky. Turned out a bit heavier than I expected so next time I'll cut the slices in half before they finish cooking.
I cannot wait to try this recipe and I have all the ingredients except the hazelnuts. Off to the store. Yummy. Love this board. Lolly