Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Yummy, on cake or my Double Espresso Brownies. I think I got this from Hershey, but I cant remember, have had it on a recipe card forever.
- 1⁄4 cup hershey cocoa (NOT hot chocolate mix)
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄3 cup soured milk or 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 4 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso or 1 teaspoon finely ground instant coffee (you can even use decaf if you like)
- 1 teaspoon high quality vanilla
- Heat butter, milk and cocoa in a 3 qut saucepan over medium heat, stir frequently DO NOT BOIL.
- Remove from heat and stir in sugar, espresso and vanilla with the wire whisk until smooth and spreadable.
- You may need more or less powdered sugar, add a bit at a time and see when it gets to the consistency you like.
I have to agree with a la mode's review, there is too much liquid here to make a stable frosting. My attempts ended up more as a glaze.
Well... it tasted yummy but I couldn't get it to the proper texture, for if I added more sugar it became way to sweet and took over all the other tastes. The affect was responded to by refrigerating for an hour or so but sadly didn't do much.