1/1 Photo of Espresso Cupcakes With Milk Chocolate Ganache
Decadent is the only way to describe these cupcakes. The rich, mocha cake is filled with even richer chocolate ganache, then, as if that weren't enough, Emily Luchetti tops it all off with white chocolate frosting. These are so good, they'll last a day, if even that long.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 -3 teaspoons instant espresso powder (depending on how pronounced you want the coffee flavour to be)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
Milk Chocolate Ganache
- 2/3 cup heavy cream (whipping)
- 5 1/2 ounces milk chocolate, finely chopped
White Chocolate Frosting
- 1Make the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Line 12 cupcake wells with paper liners.
- 2Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir in the espresso powder.
- 3Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter with the granulated sugar until light, 1 minute with a stand mixer or 2 minutes with a handheld mixer. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue to beat the mixture for 1 minute with a stand mixer or 2 minutes with a handheld mixer.
- 4On low speed, alternately add the dry ingredients and the milk in 2 additions, stirring until incorporated after each addition.
- 5Pour the batter into the paper-lined cupcake wells. Bake until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Let cool to room temperature, then remove from the pans.
- 6Make the ganache: Place the cream in a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan and warm over medium-high heat until it begins to bubble around the edges, about 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the stove, add the chocolate, and whisk until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and place plastic wrap directly over the ganache. Refrigerate until cold.
- 7Make the frosting: Melt the white chocolate in a double boiler. Stir until smooth. Let cool to room temperature.
- 8Sift the confectioners' sugar into a medium bowl. Stir in the milk and vanilla. Add the butter and salt and beat until smooth. Stir in the cooled white chocolate. Refrigerate until firm enough to frost the cupcakes, about 30 minutes.
- 9Cut out about one quarter of the inside of each cupcake with a small paring knife. With a pastry bag, fill the indent with the milk chocolate ganache.
- 10Frost each cupcake with the white chocolate frosting.
- 11Note: The cupcakes can be made a day in advance; wrap in plastic wrap and store at room temperature.
- 12The ganache can be made several days ahead and kept refrigerated.
- 13The frosting can be made a day ahead and stored at room temperature.
- 14For maximum flavor and moistness, fill and frost the cupcakes the day you plan to serve them.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Espresso Cupcakes With Milk Chocolate Ganache
Serving Size: 1 (1500 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 493.8
- Calories from Fat 243
- Total Fat 27.0 g
- Saturated Fat 16.6 g
- Cholesterol 92.0 mg
- Sodium 175.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 46.8 g
- Protein 4.9 g