Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Recipe courtesy Dan Durig Inactive Prep Time: 3 hours
- 1 1⁄2 cups single cream
- 2 cups hot espresso coffee
- 29 ounces dark chocolate (recommend cacao content of 70 percent or more)
- cocoa powder, for coating
- In a saucepan slowly bring the cream to the boil.
- Turn off the heat and add the coffee and chocolate.
- Stir with a whisk until the mixture becomes smooth and the chocolate has melted.
- The liquid should have become slightly lighter and shinier at this stage.
- Pour into a jug and leave to cool for about 2 hours or until it has come down to room temperature.
- See Cook's note*.
- Beat the mixture with an electric whisk for about 1 minute or until it changes color.
- Line a square plastic container with baking paper and pour the chocolate mixture into it.
- Leave to set in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- You can test this by pressing the top with your fingers.
- Run a spatula around the edges and lift the chocolate on the baking paper out of the dish and swiftly cut it lengthways into even strips of about 2/3-inch.
- Then cut these into cubes.
- Put cocoa powder into a flat dish and roll the cubes in it, making sure that they are well coated.
- The truffles can be kept for about 2 weeks.
- *Cook'snote: Alternatively you can place it in the refrigerator for 20 minutes, giving it a stir every 10 minutes.