Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a recipe from the Food Network show "Sarah's Secrets" that I've modified to be vegan. She recommends serving the cake with fat-free frozen yogurt or raspberry sauce and powdered sugar.
- 2⁄3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup turbinado sugar
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 9 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup strong brewed espresso
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray a 9 inch cake pan with cooking spray and dust with additional cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flours, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and flaxseed.
- In another bowl, combine the applesauce, water, vanilla, and espresso.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool the cake in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edge of the cake and invert onto the wire rack to cool completely.
This really didn't turn out well when I tried to make it. I don't have great skill in the kitchen, so a vegan dessert was probably not the best thing to try, but still. After at least 10 extra minutes of cooking beyond what the recipe calls for, the results were not cake-like. It was more...pudding-ish. The flavor's fine, the texture and such isn't so much. It was fun to try and I'm sad it didn't work out better!