Recipe by selfmadegirl
Vegan energy bars, great for study sessions!
Top Review by Chef Edlear
I was thrilled with the results here. The second time that I made these, I doubled the recipe and baked them in a 9 x 13 pan. I also used instant espresso powder instead of instant coffee, and increased the quantity a bit. I made a drizzle of melted vegan chocolate chips and espresso for the tops. I knew that just the name of these would sell them, but the flavor had to be there for the customers to come back. It was. thank you so much. (I also made one small batch at home for my non-vegan, and used buckwheat honey instead of the brown rice syrup. A different flavor entirely, but good none the less)
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon flax seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1⁄3 cup brown rice syrup
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cold coffee
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease an 8x8-inch square baking pan.
- Take half of the oats along with all of the flax and toss them into your food
- processor. Blend into a coarse meal.
- Stir mixture together with the remaining whole oats, salt, and chocolate chips.
- In a separate bowl, mix the melted margarine, brown rice syrup, brown sugar, coffee, and instant coffee together until that the sugar and instant coffee dissolve.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients together.
- Pour the mixture into the pan and use a spatula to smooth it down until it evenly fills the pan.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes, until the edges begin to brown a bit.
- Cool completely before slicing into bars.