Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
these are always a bit hit and no one can ever put their finger on the "that" flavor, whether it is the coffee or the almond
- 8 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 8 ounces sweet butter, 2 sticks
- 5 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dry instant coffee
- 3 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 2⁄3 cups flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups walnuts, chopped
- prehead oven to 425, place rack 1/3 up from bottom.
- melt chocolate and butter over double broiler on moderate heat. set aside.
- large bowl beat eggs, vanilla, almond extract, salt and dry coffee and sugar on high for 10 minutes. really. then on low add the chocolate, beat until well mixed.
- add flour and beat only until mixed then add nuts by hand.
- bake 35 minutes.
- let sit about 6-8 hours before cutting. a trick I use is to line the baking pan with foil!