Prep 20 mins
Cook 9 hrs
Oh My! This has got to be one of the easiest and most heavenly tasting cake I've ever made! I found this recipe on Epicurious...it's one of their highest-rated recipes of the month! You've gotta try this and don't substitute the wafers...some of reviewers used vanilla wafers instead because they can't find the chocolate wafers. Cooking time is chilling time.
- 3 cups chilled heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon sugar (total of 9 tablespoons)
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
- 1 (9 ounce) box chocolate wafers, such as nabisco famous
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- Beat 2 cups cream with 6 tablespoons sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until it just holds soft peaks, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Reduce speed to low, then add mascarpone and mix until combined.
- Spread 1 1/4 cups mascarpone mixture evenly in bottom of a 9 1/2- to 10-inch springform pan and cover with 14 wafers, slightly overlapping if necessary.
- Spread with another 1 1/4 cups mascarpone mixture, followed by 14 more wafers arranged in the same manner.
- Spread remaining mascarpone mixture on top.
- Smooth top with a metal offset spatula, then cover pan with foil and freeze until firm, about 1 hour.
- Transfer from freezer to refrigerator and chill, covered, until a sharp knife inserted into center cuts through softened wafers easily, about 8 hours.
- Pulse remaining chocolate wafers in a food processor until finely ground.
- Beat remaining cup of cream with espresso powder and remaining 3 tablespoons sugar using electric mixer at medium speed until it just holds stiff peaks, about 3 minutes.
- Remove foil and side of pan and frost cake all over with espresso cream.
- Sprinkle edge of top lightly with wafer crumbs.
- Serve cold.
- Cake, without espresso cream, can be chilled up to 2 days.
- Cake can be frosted with espresso cream 4 hours ahead and chilled, loosely covered with foil.
I found this recipe on epicurious quite a while ago and have been making it ever since. It's fantastic!