Especially Good Meat Loaf (South)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine meats with the onion, thyme, breadcrumbs, eggs, salt & pepper, mixing well with a fork (not with your hands, since that will toughen freshly ground meat), then form into a large loaf.
- Place 3 to 6 pieces of bacon in the bottom of a baking dish, then lay the loaf on top of the bacon, before covering the top of the loaf with the rest of the bacon (which adds flavor & moisture).
- Bake about 1 1/2 hours or until the outside of the loaf is golden brown, the juices run clear when the loaf is poked with a skewer, & it feels firm to the touch.
- Discard all the bacon & serve either hot or cold.