Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe is from http://www.thegutsygourmet.net/natl-andorra.html Wikipedia says that Escudella is the national dish of Andorra Pages, in Catalan, means peasant, rural, or rustic.
- 2 1⁄2 quarts water
- 4 veal bones
- 1 ham bone
- 1 pinch saffron
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 lb salt pork
- 1⁄4 lb onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 stewing chicken, bite-sized pieces
- 1⁄2 lb veal, bite-sized pieces
- 1⁄2 lb potato
- 1 medium leek
- 1⁄3 lb carrot
- 1⁄4 lb green cabbage
- 1⁄4 lb dried great northern beans, cooked
- 1⁄4 lb rice
- 1⁄4 lb pasta (Small pasta like small elbow or conchetti)
- Make a good broth with the water, veal and ham bones, simmering slowly.
- When nearly done, add salt to taste and the saffron.
- Blanch the salt pork to remove the excess salt, then dice.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet, add the diced salt pork and chopped onions.
- When the onions begin to brown, add the pieces of chicken and veal and allow to cook slowly.
- Peel the potatoes, leek and carrots, chop them fairly finely, then add to the.
- skillet with the chicken and veal.
- Chop the cabbage finely and add to the skillet. Give it all a good stir.
- Remove the bones from the broth and discard. Empty the contents of the.
- skillet into the broth, then add the beans, rice and pasta. Cook for about 10 - 15 minutes, until the rice and pasta are done, then serve very hot.