1/1 Photo of Escarole With Garlic and Bread Crumbs
Escarole is a bitter green and we love it sauteed with fresh garlic. A quick blanching keeps it bright green and tames some of it's bitterness. I found this version in "The North End Italian Cookbook". Fried bread crumbs and a few red pepper flakes makes this dish fantastic.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- 2Coarsely chop the escarole.
- 3Add to water, cook 2 minutes, drain, rinse with cold water and drain again.
- 4Heat oil in a heavy skillet, add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook over medium heat until garlic is browned.
- 5Add bread crumbs and cook until browned.
- 6Turn heat to high, add escarole, season with salt and pepper, stir and toss until heated through.
- 7Place in a serving bowl and pour any oil left in the pan over the escarole.
Browse Our Top Greens Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Greens Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Escarole With Garlic and Bread Crumbs
Serving Size: 1 (253 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 188.3
- Calories from Fat 129
- Total Fat 14.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 99.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 3.8 g