Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Food & Wine.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 eggs, beaten to mix
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 head escarole, leaves washed well and chopped (about 1/2 pound)
- 1 1⁄2 quarts canned low sodium chicken broth or 1 1⁄2 quarts homemade stock
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- In a medium bowl, mix together the turkey, eggs, garlic, onion, bread crumbs, Parmesan, parsley, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and the black pepper until thoroughly combined.
- Shape the mixture into twenty meatballs.
- In a large frying pan, heat 11/2 tablespoons of the oil over moderate heat. Add half the meatballs to the pan and cook, turning, until browned on all sides, about 3 minutes.
- Remove the meatballs from the pan and drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remaining 11/2 tablespoons oil and the rest of the meatballs.
- Put all of the meatballs, the escarole, broth, water, vinegar, red-pepper flakes, and the remaining 1 teaspoon of salt in a large pot.
- Cover and bring to a simmer over moderate heat, stirring occasionally. The meatballs should be cooked through by the time the broth comes to a simmer.