Recipe by Judith N.
Let's go Italian! This soup is Yummy. Clipped out of a magazine and been making it ever since. I also serve it with grated parmesan, just 'cause we like it that way.
- 1 head escarole (about 1 1/4 lbs.)
- 4 medium plum tomatoes
- 4 medium carrots
- 1 large onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons salad oil
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons instant beef bouillon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (9 ounce) packagesmall tortellini
Directions See How It's Made
- About 50 minutes before serving: Cut escarole into 2" pieces, discarding any tough ribs.
- Peel, seed, and dice tomatoes.
- Thinly slice carrots, chop onions.
- In 5 quart dutch oven over medium high heat, in hot oil, cook carrots and onion until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add escarole and tomatoes and cook, stirring until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in chicken broth, beef-flavor bouillon, pepper and 5 cups water; over high heat, heat to boiling.
- Add tortellini and cook 5 minutes longer or until tortellini are tender.
- **NOTE: I also added 2 Tbsp soy sauce which helped to enhance the flavor of the broth.